Action Learning is a powerful strategy for helping organizations solve practical challenges while developing people through applied learning. Action Learning begins with formation of a team to solve a defined challenge. The team then proceeds to solve the challenge while also assuring that team members learn and develop as they complete the work. The dual focus on action and learning results in better performance, more effective teams, and stronger organizations.
The Action Learning Cycle
Action Learning is applied through repeatable cycles of learning, innovation, improvement, and spread.
- A cycle begins with a focus for improvement and a team of contributors.
- The team engages in a collaborative process in which they learn, innovate, improve, and spread what works.
- The team is supported through this process with research, data, tools, training, technical assistance, and facilitated meetings.
- At each step in the process, the team members are learning and growing as individuals and as a unit.
- As Action Learning Cycles are employed and repeated, the organization is able to solve immediate challenges while growing talent for the present and future.
Action Learning Projects
Action Learning can be applied on a project basis by an organization, a community, an association, or an institute. At Community Health Solutions we have used Action Learning to support projects in clinical care, community health improvement, and professional development. We support these efforts by providing research, data, tools, training, technical assistance, and online learning supports. We have used Action Learning to:
- Help clinical practices improve their care models and operations.
- Help communities develop and execute collaborative health improvement efforts.
- Help associations equip their members for effective strategy and practice.
- Help leadership institutes incorporate practical learning into their programs, often with professional continuing education credit.
Please contact Community Health Solutions to learn more about the power of Action Learning for your organization or community.
Why Action Learning?
Action Learning helps people solve challenges as they develop their talents in:
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Design Thinking
- Strategic thinking